Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Hello!

I recently became diagnosed with Bipolar II disorder and would have never thought that I fit "the mold" for such an illness. You see, I look normal, have a normal life, work a normal job, and am married to a normal man and have normal children. I would have never thought this disease could hit so close to home.

I knew that I would get severely depressed at times so I had been on Lexapro for years. Within in the past year or so, the "downs" got so severe, I couldn't even get out of bed some days. I would also have paranoia of people in my neighborhood watching me and talking about me. The down days also created intense insecurity to where I would be afraid to talk to people sometimes. (not always easy when you deal with clients on a daily basis)

As far as my "manias", they were manifested into big life changes that I wanted.. Occasionally, I would decide that I needed to move away, find a new job, become single again, etc. Looking back, it must have been terrifying for my family, particularly my husband. In fact, now that I am being treated, he talks about the dark days and how scared his is that he will lose "me" again.

As I go through my treatment (Lamictal and Lexapro) I will update my progress and how effective it is working for me. So far, I have been on the Lamictal for about 2 months and I feel so much more stable. I can tell that there are times when I get a little down (who doesn't right?) but it never gets anywhere near how bad it used to get. I would love to hear from others who have similar stories and/or ideas to share. This illness carries a stereotype that not too many people can understand and it's nice to know that there are others out there who can relate.

Thanks for reading and take care.

Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment